Wednesday, November 3, 2010

To Hack or Not Hack

That is the question.

I have batteries in the camera and I'm ready to test out the film.
The question is should I make a notch in the film cartridges so that I can control the internal 85 filter in my camera?

This video will show what I'm talking about:


 
This webpage, http://www.peaceman.de/blog/index.php/super-8-notch-ruler-new-and-improved, goes into detail about the notch issues of cameras and cartridges.

I have to admit this is kind of over my head and I might just waste 30 dollars and shoot this film I bought without altering the cartridges at all and see what happens.

For the 85 filter, Kodak suggests that for older cameras "with the daylight balanced 100D Film, it will be necessary to disengage this filter. Although it may sound counter-intuitive, this is accomplished by setting the manual exposure setting to the tungsten setting (the bulb icon), no matter what conditions you are shooting under."

On this camera the tungsten switch on disengages the filter and the lack of a notch on the 100D cartrisge would disengage the filter anyway.  Let's just pop in the 100D and go for it and see what happens.

Onward to the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment