Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Buying Film

So, we're starting from the assumption that this camera is useless and won't work.
That's fine with me.  I bought it for a dollar.  The question is, are the people online calling it useless because they are professional film makers or serious Super 8 hobbyists, when in reality a slightly over or underexposed film isn't that bad for someone who is just trying to see what Super 8's all about?  I decided to get some film and just try it.  I know it is possible I am going to waste a hand full of cash doing this, but hey, it's fun.

As I began my search for film it became fairly obvious that it wasn't the hardest thing in the world to obtain, especially since the first place I checked, B&H, had several different kinds of film in color and black and white. 

I couldn't find this "64T" film that I had read about.  Also, Kodak does not currently make Super 8 film with sound.  Bummer. B&H does have the current four kinds of film Kodak sells however. 
AVAILABLE KODAK FILM
It is possible to buy old kinds of film on eBay and such, but I am not ready to spend the money on that, and it seems I'd have to process the old stock myself too, and that's not gonna happen just yet.

I bought Ektachrome 100D and Tri-X Black and White Reversal, one cartridge each.  I'll stay away from the slightly more expensive film for now.

EKTACHROME 100D



The first film I bought is the Ektachrome 100D.  This is one of the films that apparently the Ektasound 130 won't be able to use properly.  I could not find specifics on the web about what effect 100D will have in a auto-exposure non-TTL camera.  At the bottom of this page, there is a link to a page at Kodak which states the following:


"Color Balance and Filtration with Older S8 Cameras
Many cameras utilize an internal conversion filter to convert daylight illumination into a tungsten balance. This
amber-colored filter is be placed into the optical path when the manual selector is placed on the sun setting (the sun icon). With the daylight balanced 100D Film, it will be necessary to disengage this filter. Although it may sound counter-intuitive, this is accomplished by setting the manual exposure setting to the tungsten setting (the bulb icon), no matter what conditions you are shooting under. If you will be using 100D Film under tungsten illumination, we recommend the use of an 80A external filter.
Consult the camera manufacturer's manual for specific information on your camera's operation."

So, if I'm able to somehow disengage the internal 85 filter (the "conversion filter") on my camera, it seems the daylight film should work.  I see this as good news.  Now, I just need to figure out how to keep the camera on the Tungsten setting.

Tri-X Reversal Film 7266


This film is a mystery to me.  Since I am not a photographer or cinematographer, I have no idea what all the numbers and stuff mean on this box.  Also, I have not seen reference to this film in any of the discussions of how new Kodak film works, or doesn't,  in the old auto-exposure cameras.  I guess I'm just going to pop this one in and see how it goes.  My guess is that it won't be exposed properly because my camera can't handle the speed or something, but I have no idea how to figure that out in advance, so fuck it, let's try it.

Time to go buy batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment